View Single Post
Old 05-27-2011, 09:40 PM
VideoKarma Member

I agree with what you say about Morse/Electrophonic and Lloyds. However, even those pieces of junk are better than a modern Crosley. Actually, my first real stereo was an Electrophonic "all-in-one" 8-track/radio/BSR record changer combo with the matching "air suspension" speakers. I paid $2 for it at a church rummage sale and it sounded much better than the tinny sounding late '60's Westinghouse record player that I had been using. It had a round, green backlit dial and the BSR changer was one of those with a plastic platter and a tetrad ceramic cartridge.

The only '50's/'60's tube console stereo and hi-fi units that really irritate me are the ones that use a hot chassis with a 50C5 based output stage. Often, these are in larger cabinets that would make one think that there would be a power transformer driven chassis inside.

I've got a small Packard-Bell tube console from the early '60's that I want to fix. It's nothing special; but, PB stereo's never show up around here. This one has a single "tone" control, instead of seperate bass and treble controls. However, the amp uses a power transformer and I think it uses a 6BM8 output tube for each channel. The record changer is a typical VM built unit with a ceramic cartridge.