Thread: Newcomb TR-16A
View Single Post
Old 08-21-2010, 11:28 AM
Super Moderator

It just amazes me how many updates they made on their machines. Even the transcription players.
TR-16A 10 watt amp. Type transcription player. Case: Maroon. Single 12" spkr. in removable lid. 25' spkr. cord.
Treble, bass, phono vol., and, mike vol.
2 mike jacks. uses GE magnetic cartridge.
Mechanism: 2 spd. 78-33.
Variable speed, but, no strobe.
10" turntable with fluff coating.
Power on light on front panel of amp.

R-12. First version I have. Maroon.
3 speed. Grey metal. Primitive tone arm hard mounted on a seperate panel, shock mounted.
Motor mech. shock mounted.
Spkr. shock mounted on rubber grommets, instead of springs.
No springs in cabinet feet. Cut out for 6"X9" spkr. is diamond shaped. 5 watt amp.
R-12 Similar to later ones. Maroon, but, still with primitive tone arm. 3 Wheel system with idler wheel.
R-12 later version. My school's machines. Same drive system 3 speed. Improved amp. Trimmer, lighter tone arm.
Last one.
R-12. 4 speed. Maroon case. Improved amp. LIghter tone arm.
Single idler wheel.

TR-25.
I have Two. One restored, other not finnished.
On all three transcriptions interesting way of varying speed pitch.
On earliest one, the TR-16, and, one of these, motor has a secondary winding wound in reverse that connects through two high wattage pots, to the 6 volt winding on power transformer. It actually slows motor down. The oneTR-25 with this motor is a 3 speed.
25 watt amp. Phono treble, phono bass, , phono vol., Mike 1 vol. Mike one bass, Mike 2 volume.
Maroon top, maroon double spkrs, grey bottom. Maroon painted metal.
Tone arm grey with adjustable weight for lp's, and, 45's.
Lighted speed strobe.
Other TR- 25. Basically the same except the following.
4 speed.
Motor speed pitch is done by a permanent magnet between two steel brackets. An aluminum disc on motor shaft goes in middle.
It works, but, since it works by magnetism, you get a strong ozone like smell out of it.

They were doing alot in those days to try to put out a better product.
These early machines were actually very good. I also know they offered an expensive set of speakers in the 50's that were 4 seperate speakers,
and, they also offered a 3 way spkr. systme.

Bill Cahill
Audiokarma