View Single Post
Old 12-20-2017, 08:26 PM
VideoKarma Member

I still use a 25" Magnavox in my bedroom. Parents got it for me new in 1994 or 1995, I cant remember, but its a basic Black Plastic Crap set from then.

However it still has a picture on it like its new so the CRT in it is fairly strong, considering its on every night when I go to bed. The CRT had to have been well built, and I know it has a ton of hours on it.

I only had to fix it twice. once it had a 100uf 100V cap go bad in the horizontal circuitry, apparently it was a common problem. So I replaced it with a much higher quality cap and it hasnt failed again. 2nd repair was in the STR circuit. a non polar cap dried out and took out the STR IC along with the fuse one day. Changed all that stuff out in 2008 or so, and its still working fine today.

But I know my luck will eventually run out with a flyback failure or something along those lines, so I am consistently looking for a good vintage CRT set as a backup. Problem is where I live now, they are impossible to come by. Only ones I see now are LCD, or a few late model silver flat screen CRTs which I don't want. I want something from the 70s/80s era as a daily watcher once this BPC set dies.

Last edited by mbates14; 12-20-2017 at 08:36 PM.