Thread: Score !!
View Single Post
Old 06-25-2012, 01:24 PM
<----Zenith C845

I think the whole thing is a joke, and a very unfunny one at that -- after all, WWV is owned and operated by a branch of the U. S. Government and cannot be taken over by Clear Channel, or any other entity for that matter. Second, there may not even be a WWV station anymore after the wildfires near Fort Collins, Colorado, where the station's transmitters and towers are located; those fires may have burned them to little more than huge piles of molen metal and ashes.

VK member W3XWT must have been in ham radio a long time, if he remembers when WWV was in Greenbelt, Maryland; I think that must have been in the '50s or very early '60s. As long as I've been in ham radio (40 years on the 30th of this month), the station has been in Fort Collins, but again, it may be just piles of molten metal and burned wood after the fires. One of the first things I thought of when I first heard the news of the Colorado wildfires (on NBC TV news) was WWV and its four 1kW transmitters and towers. The only thing left of WWV anymore may be NIST's (National Institute of Standards and Technology, formerly the National Bureau of Standards) station in Hawaii, WWVH -- which unfortunately doesn't reach most of the US east of the West Coast. When I had my HF station with its 70-foot all-band dipole, I used to hear WWVH very faintly behind WWV during the latter's silent periods, but never well enough to be of any use to me.

BTW: I heard the live stream of the so-called "new" WWV a few minutes ago, but again, I think the whole thing is a very unfunny joke. The NIST is not going to let its time-and-frequency station be taken over by anyone. The last legitimate change at WWV was when the station was completely automated about 30 years ago.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.