View Single Post
Old 12-20-2011, 09:58 PM
Followin' the Rules...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstout66 View Post
I picked up a NASTY virus while on AK last week.
I'm even an I.T nerd, and have gone 7 years on this desktop system without a virus...EVER.
The one that got me, and about wiped my system out is the "XP 2010 Virus".
I am staying off both sites for awhile, but just wanted to give a heads up. The virus has many monikers depending on your operating system, but it's the one that looks like it is from Windows and says you have about a zillion infected files. If you get it... do a HARD SHUT-DOWN of your system and for god-sakes.. don't be tricked and download anything from it.
How it got me.... I left the page up, and went away from my computer. By the time I got back.. the virus was fully installed.
....and you were not alone. Immunization from Spybot, Full-AVG protection, and an at-start-up Malwarebytes run did nothing for me. Funny thing is, I didn't open anything, or click on anything - just brought up VK from my Favorites link. I was reading thread titles when AVG alerted me to the problem. No other software running, no other sites being browsed. A quick run of AVG and Malwarebytes, and I was back up. Two hours later, I braved VK again, and bam - another threat detected. Cleaned up things, made a call to my brother-in-law. He's a writer/tech geek/IT expert for a media service. He checked out VK with his computer and he said it's all "server side" scripts placed there to infect. VK mods, you might check with the hosting service - the script hackers are making things unpleasant for some of us. We know VK isn't the problem, just the servers hosting VK.

My solution for now is Google Chrome with a couple of mods (placed there by my B-I-L) and lo and behold, I now just get the warning that a script is being blocked. Most prevalent is the one mentioned above - the "XP2010.exe" script. I'm on a Win 7 machine, and this happens only on VK (I haven't ventured over to AK).

Cheers,
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!
Audiokarma