View Single Post
Old 09-25-2015, 05:07 PM
VideoKarma Member

I tend to buy older Realistic, Panasonic, Sony, and other brand Japanese radios from the old days. I love finding old Multi-Band radios.

Most of the ones I have picked up get excellent AM/FM reception. It makes modern radios look like junk. I have never messed with those radio on chip pieces of crap they sell these days.

I have no real "local" stations. I have a 6kW station on 96.1 in Lake Geneva, and it's transmitter is 8 miles from me, so even the worst radios get it. All they play is tween music, and stuff little girls would like. I have 95.1 out in Kenosha, it's 50kW and plays rock, and 30 miles away, I listen to them commonly in my car because it reaches so deep in to both Milwaukee and Chicago. I also think there is some religious station on 88.5 or something like that pretty close, but no one cares about those stations and no one listens to them. The programming is an abysmal so who cares.

As for AM stations. There used to be 1550 in Lake Geneva. A little 1kW station with two directional towers aimed east/west. They came in great, and I got the pleasure of them coming back on the air in December last year, and they played classic music and Christmas music. I had them on constantly on a little 1946 Arvin radio I own, it was a delight. They signed off January 1st, and the WZRK call letters were turned in to the FCC, so the station is dead.

I suppose for the best. The company that bought WZRK is a pathetic joke, they have another station in Milwaukee that plays only Gospel, and in my area there is zero market for such a station. I think they just killed it, and moved the transmitter up to Milwaukee for their crap station.

As for other close AM signals? WTMJ, WISN WBBM, WSCR, and WGN from Chicago & Milwaukee are the biggest locally. WSM from Nashville powers in here at night, so does CHWO or whatever 740 from Ontario at sunset, as well. Both nice to listen too on vintage sets.

I find a radio to be worthless if I can't hear Milwaukee on it in my house. It's made of amazing stuff if it let's me listen to Chicago in my house.