View Single Post
Old 09-23-2015, 10:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavGoodlin View Post
I would agree that analog tuners such as those on Sony's dream machine continued to improve well after digital was an option. I have one of those Sony's in a bathroom as the house alarm clock and I got it in 1986. It's sensitive seems to pick up whatever the e-skip favors - owing to a crowded FM band and the short monopole antenna I added long ago to replace the 24" wire hanging out the back. I also had an AM-FM/casette walkman that had an crude but fantasic tuner.

On the flip side, we had an Aiwa portable CD-casette unit with a digital tuner, detachable speakers, etc. With a cheesy dipole or outdoor antenna, the selectivity was awful, unheard of in a digital tuner. after casette, then the CD part failed it was exchanged for a tiny Emerson CD portable with a good ANALOG tuner.
Yeah, its kind of interesting that some of your older alarm clock radios which you would think would be horrible tuner wise were actually quite good for what they were especially the ones from the 1970s and 1980s the ones starting in the early 1990s got really horrible when it came to tuner quality, and then there's the case of an old late 1980s vintage Emerson AM/FM Clock radio that I had for a while that said on the cabinet "super sensitive tuner" on it but when you actually tried DXing on the thing it would only pick up strong local stations and that was it, it wouldn't even pick up any of the long distance stations (stations that were between 30-60 miles from me like my old 1980s vintage GE Clock radios did) so I think Emerson used some false advertising on their clock radios...
Audiokarma