View Single Post
Old 05-10-2015, 10:35 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffhs View Post
You said it! Those cheap AM-FM-FM stereo radios have almost no stereo separation whatsoever because the speakers are so close to each other. (In fact, the word "stereo" used to describe these sets means nothing; it is probably more of a selling point than anything else--and the stereo decoder, almost certainly a cheap integrated circuit, is probably as BOTL as you can get.) The only way you could hope to get anywhere near decent stereo separation from these sets is if you used them with headphones, and even then I'd have my doubts about the sound quality. I presently own two AM/FM/stereo FM radios that don't sound bad (the FM on one quit about ten years ago), but the radios are still nowhere near large enough to provide adequate separation. My Panasonic boom box is perhaps a foot or so long, but I am sure the stereo separation leaves an awful lot to be desired. I owned a Sanyo AM-FM-stereo FM boom box in the '80s which had the same problem, only the speakers were even closer to each other than my Panasonic's are--mainly because the Sanyo was in a squarish-shaped box, and the Panasonic boom box is in a much longer cabinet. I still wouldn't call the Panasonic box hi-fi, though.
Yes I agree .I think the 1980's into the mid 1990's was the last of good sounding boom boxes.I have two monster 1980's JVC boomboxes which sound great .

As I walk through BJs Wholesale or Walmart .Its sad just looking at those big oversize radios with 6 plus speakers that have no or alittle stereo separation.Nevermind adding the tuners suck too.Atlease they can add a stereo-wide switch to make it sound better.I probably have those Sanyo's and Panasonic's in my boombox collection.

Today people are now more interesting with those streamboxes or Iphone boxes which I see next to those so called stereo sets on the store shelves.

I have a sad feeling we will here in the states will end up with digital radio like Norway sooner or later.