View Single Post
Old 05-09-2015, 07:37 PM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralradio View Post
The problem with any cheap radio made in the past 2 plus decades sucks.
Selectivity,Sensitivity is in the toilet.Stereo separation is in the toilet if the radio is stereo FM.
You said it! Those cheap AM-FM-FM stereo radios have almost no stereo separation whatsoever because the speakers are so close to each other. (In fact, the word "stereo" used to describe these sets means nothing; it is probably more of a selling point than anything else--and the stereo decoder, almost certainly a cheap integrated circuit, is probably as BOTL as you can get.) The only way you could hope to get anywhere near decent stereo separation from these sets is if you used them with headphones, and even then I'd have my doubts about the sound quality. I presently own two AM/FM/stereo FM radios that don't sound bad (the FM on one quit about ten years ago), but the radios are still nowhere near large enough to provide adequate separation. My Panasonic boom box is perhaps a foot or so long, but I am sure the stereo separation leaves an awful lot to be desired. I owned a Sanyo AM-FM-stereo FM boom box in the '80s which had the same problem, only the speakers were even closer to each other than my Panasonic's are--mainly because the Sanyo was in a squarish-shaped box, and the Panasonic boom box is in a much longer cabinet. I still wouldn't call the Panasonic box hi-fi, though.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.

Last edited by Jeffhs; 05-09-2015 at 07:57 PM.