View Single Post
Old 12-10-2013, 12:40 PM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakiri View Post
Picked up a Sylvania 40" LCD set for free, so I thought I'd give it a go for the heck of it

It's a model LC407SS1, and has a picture similar to this:

http://i32.tinypic.com/3zwhv.jpg

No audio, but I don't know if the menu settings are set on one of the HDMI ports or something. Pulled the back, and while the set is on, there is a peculiar ticking sound from the T-con board. Unplug the T-Con board, and the screen is black and even, ticking goes away. Might be in over my head, but the price of admission on this project is $0 so far
I don't know much about repairing LCD flat TVs except what I've read online, but I'll throw this in. If the ticking is coming from the T-con board, and the noise disappears with the board removed from the chassis, that board may well be the problem. Replace it. I wouldn't be surprised if this cures the trouble, and brings the set back to life. A replacement for this board is probably available from Sony's parts department; I'd check their website to be sure. Unless your TV is very old, I would think a replacement for any board in the set is still available.

As to the audio problem, I would check the menu settings, if you can get to them; I wouldn't be surprised if the speakers have been shut off. If there is an option on the main menu to reset the TV to factory defaults, use that option to reset everything. If the problem is caused by an incorrect setting, resetting to defaults should get things going again. This is the first thing to do when a flat-screen TV develops problems; if resetting to factory defaults doesn't cure the trouble, further troubleshooting is in order.

Good luck.

BTW, your screen shot shows a pattern similar to a bar code. I read online some time ago that this pattern is sometimes caused when the TV's internal software crashes. If your TV has a USB port, you can use a flash drive with the set's software loaded on it to replace the defective programming. Go to Sony's web site and look for a link to software updates to load the flash drive first; this procedure works with my Insignia flat screen, which has a USB port for software updates on the jack panel at the left side of the set. This port is likely on most other LCD flat sets as well, although on some sets it can be difficult to locate.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.