View Single Post
Old 12-25-2023, 12:29 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks for all the response. My next step is to measure voltages in and around the HV circuit, for learning purposes if nothing else. Then measure voltages at the CRT. This stereo pulls 250 watts with the TV on. There are 36 tubes hot when the TV is on. Sams says the TV chassis pulls 160 watts, the stereo pulls about 160 watts without the TV chassis on. So I am about 70 watts or so low from where I should be. This may be not very scientific, but this is the best I can do with available equipment. The wattage is the same with the HOT in or not. This is what leads me to believe there is no high voltage. I'll try the CFL trick and see if the hair stands up on my hand in front of the CRT. I never thought of that. I can also darken my shop nearly totally dark. I can do that to see if something is cutting off the CRT. Pardon my fumbling, but I'm learning a lot. I'm sorry, but I am just not comfortable placing a screwdriver under the HV suction cup on the CRT. If I have to check that, I'll wait and find a reasonably priced high voltage probe and do it that way. The damper, horizontal output, and high voltage rectifier tubes are all NOS RCA and test good. I realize that doesn't always guarantee they will work in the circuit....

How long will it take for the high voltage to bleed off naturally? Overnight? Then, could it be possible for the fine tuning to be so out of adjustment that it would totally cut off video and audio? The fine tuning on this tuner is hard to manipulate with the channel selector knob on. This set is alleged to have an automatic fine tuning feature, but I suspect the fine tuning needs to be set, then it is automatically adjusted as you change channels. It seems like I can turn the fine tuning without feeling any stops. I know there is a plastic gear in the tuner that can break, but it feels like I am turning "something" but I can't seem to make a difference. I have a B&K 1077B available now as well. As soon as I play with it a bit to familiarize myself with how it works, that may help answer a few of the questions I still have.

Last edited by uncleputz; 12-25-2023 at 12:44 PM.