View Single Post
Old 02-28-2011, 02:30 PM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Nelson View Post
No affiliation. Big fat cataract, but who's quibbling at that price? Looks newer than my CTC-11; maybe someone else knows how much newer.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/atq/2235190853.html

Phil Nelson
It depends on whether the set has UHF or not. If so, it was made after April 30, 1964; if not, it's post-'64. RCA made a VHF-only color console that looks just like this one; I saw a picture of it in an RCA brochure I downloaded (or saw somewhere on the web) recently. Regardless, this TV looks as if it is in excellent shape as far as the cabinet is concerned; don't know about the innards, but if it is being sold for $50 or best offer there may well be some chassis problems, unless the owner just wants it out of the house ASAP and doesn't care how much or how little money he or she gets for it.

If the only problem the TV has is the cataract on the CRT, however, this could be a great score for someone, as RCA and other makes of TV consoles such as this one are becoming rare. Depending on the CRT in this set (some roundie CRTs are becoming scarce), it may simply be a matter of replacing the tube, or else just removing the safety glass on the old one and continuing to use it, depending on the emission level of the guns and whether or not there are shorts anywhere in the tube. I have read in posts to this forum that CRTs with cataracts are often perfectly usable indefinitely once the safety glass is removed or once it falls off the tube.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.