Thread: Motorola TS-4J
View Single Post
Old 07-17-2018, 09:19 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandersen View Post
Also I'm wondering about the values of the caps you're using. There should be a 140, 120 and 100 uF cap in the B++ supply circuit - nothing in the 10-20 range.
Yes, I recognise that the B++ power supply doesn't use any, however upstream in the audio circuit, the electrolytics are getting blown because they connect to the B++

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdKozk2 View Post
I noticed that C-45 in the Sams schematic you posted does not match the Motorola factory issued schematic for a TS-4J late model. The ground end of C-45 should be connected to the floating B- line, not chassis ground. Also if you are using an original metal can ballast, make sure that it does not have any internal shorts. Remove the ballast if you have to, and check the pins for proper continuity and resistance. Your set is supposed to use the latter ballast, as shown in the schematic you posted. A ballast with internal shorts will cause all kinds of problems.
Ed
I'm using a glass ballast resistor that came with the spare chassis. It matches the pinouts of what I need. Which schematic would be the correct? I saw there was one on the ETF website that I think is more correct.

I can't check it today, (Adding a new rack to the workbench) but I'm almost positive I connected the output of the capacitors directly to the chassis. This whole floating chassis thing is a real pain in the neck.