View Single Post
Old 10-13-2018, 01:52 PM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notimetolooz View Post
I wasn't saying he should do anything risky, rather use a "work around".
That work around would be to use probe clips on the test equipment so that he doesn't have to touch the set while it is powered up. Of course he would only be able to use un-grounded test equipment like a battery powered meter.
I wouldn't try to repair a hot-chassis TV, radio or any other device while it was plugged in and turned on, due to the shock hazard; I'd use an isolation transformer, as one other poster suggested. Using insulated probes isn't enough. The set's chassis will still be "hot" with the line voltage, and will still be a shock hazard and possibly a fire hazard as well, particularly if any metal object (probe tip, etc.) shorts to the chassis. This will effectively short the AC line directly to ground since, in transformerless televisions and radios, one side of the line is connected directly to the chassis. The house fuse or the equipment's own line fuse may blow, but I wouldn't count on it. The safest way to work on so-called AC-DC radios and transformerless televisions is to unplug the AC power cord (and discharge any filter capacitors) before doing anything in, on or under the chassis.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.
Audiokarma