View Single Post
Old 09-10-2005, 04:21 PM
VideoKarma Member

Zenith T/Os, the best one?

I own all models of T/Os with the exception of the 7G005 series (first one). As far as over all sound quality goes, the tube type have the SS types beat! But I believe that has more to do with cabinet design than anything else for the most part. Another thing I see people mention is the 8G005 series with it's push/pull audio output. I cannot hear any difference? Maybe I'm tone deaf but a friend also cannot hear any difference on his or the two I own when compared to the later series tube types. I feel that has been used to show they are superior in sound quality to the others. I don't buy it! If it is it's far to little for me to pay extra on that.

As far as which model is more sensitive goes, the jury is out for the most part in my neck of the woods. I've completely replaced all caps and any resistors that are out of tolerance in my models. Then performed a complete alignment. I cannot tell any difference in sensitivity between any of the different tube type models. When compared to the "all transistor" models, the SS models seem to have a very slight edge in sensitivity on SW, especially in the higher frequencies of SW. But it's nothing to write home about. AM broadcast seems to be identical.

I had 4 different Royal 7000 series at one time(down to one now) and 3 different 3000 models. The only thing the 7000 series have over the 3000 models is selectivity but sensitivity is not one of them. They seem identical in that department. I own a couple 1000 and 1000D models and they also seem to be about the same. Mind you all these radios have been completely and properly aligned. This of course made a big difference in a few as far as sensitivity went.

I owned and sold an R7000-2 not long ago(I've owned 3 different versions over the years). I find that model to be no better in any way over the earlier 7000 series. BTW all Royal 7000 series were manufactured here. Over seas manufacturing didn't start until the R7000 came along.

The best T/O in my book is of course the Royal 7000 series. They "fixed" many of the problems that plagued the 1000/3000 series plus added a few needed items like BFO RF gain control, meter(hardly a usefully meter BTW), separate wave rod and stronger handle. Plus the front cover folds about half way into the radio allowing it to be carried while open. If you want just one SS T/O, this would be the series I would recommend every time. Anything else is a collection

Now the best looking SS T/Os IMHO is by far, the 1000/3000 series. Some prefer the 1000 over the 3000 or the other way around, but they're both very close. It's a shame they're hard to find without the blistering metal plating

If a tube type is what you prefer but you want just one, the 600 series (A, B, L, S, T) are the way to go. Easier to read dial and a dial light to boot. The best looking of the tube types IMHO are(drum role please) the G500! They're one sharp looking radio with the 8G005 running a close second.

Brian

Last edited by BrianM; 09-10-2005 at 04:23 PM.