View Single Post
Old 11-08-2017, 12:31 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
This thread is just a TAD on the "Jingoish" side of things, but that's all right..An early day Trinitron is rather hard to beat ,in my book... EVERYBODY always enjoyed
watching it... A Golf match, when you had a cameraman who knew what he was doing, was a sight to behold...
Before I got interested in vintage TV, and having grown up in the 1980s, I thought the trinitron was head and shoulders above everything else. Everyone in my family who cared about quality had one, I thought the only people who bought RCA or something else, were either too cheap to get a Sony or people not interested much in quality.

So seeing how good of a picture those old RCA and Zenith delta gun sets can make when they're operating properly was a bit of a surprise to me. The remaining ones I saw growing up were always on their last legs and all out of adjustment. And now, in 2017, it's really hard to find an early Trinitron with a good enough picture tube to make a good picture, they all seem to be off due to weak tubes. I'm not sure if it's because they were so good that people watched them until there was nothing left, or if they have worse longevity than the domestic tubes.