View Single Post
Old 11-17-2016, 01:17 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benman94 View Post
Does anyone have any hard data on the long term reliability of a 21AXP22? Assuming the metal rim isn't nicked and the tube doesn't fail catastrophically (implosion, being necked, uncontrolled internal arcing, etc) is a 21AXP22 a fairly reliable tube?

I have five in my collection now, two in sets (the Hoffman, and a CTC-4 Seville), and three spares. I would like to know if I should worry about any of them randomly leaking. Part of the reason I sold my CT-100 to John is because the 15GP22 is just too unreliable. In conversation with Ed Reitan shortly before he passed, he told me he randomly lost two 15GP22s to leaks over the years, one in a fully restored CT-100. Factor in the countless failed rebuild attempts, and any 15GP22 looks like a crap shoot. I'd like to avoid that fate with my 21 inchers...

If CRT rebuilding ever truly gets off of the ground at the ETF, can leaker 21AXP22s be re-welded along that rim, and are they going to be as difficult to rebuild as the ghastly 15Gs?
As long as they're stored where there isn't any real temperature extremes, I feel that it would insure their reliability.
Metal cones expand and contract with temperature changes.