View Single Post
Old 09-03-2005, 11:41 PM
AK Member

Quote:
I have no desire to see HDTV. If the programming was worth something, I may rethink that. As long as the nets are shoveling shit, my sets will be showing DVD's of Archie Bunker, Hogan's Heroes, etc
HDNET showed Hogans Heros in HD for months. You would have been in heaven.
Quote:
Actually I believe HDTV is catching on MUCH faster in sales than color TV did, and color WAS backwards compatible.
My cable box will show the same HD broadcast on my analog TV (via coax) as it will on my HDTV (via HDMI, component, or firewire). Obviously, the program is downscaled somehow over the coax output, but it does seem to be backward compatible.
Quote:
and in my mind there is little comparison between the excitment of seeing color tv for the first time vs seeing digital television, keep in although the picture quality has improved, the program material has not, i still wonder why I spend the money I do to subscribe to directv with 160 channels and nothing on.
While I can't argue with how it felt to get color because it has been around my entire life, I bet many people said "why do I need color? I have Andy Griffith, Dick Van Dyke, and The Three Stooges in B&W."

For me, HDTV makes a bigger impact when watching movies. HDNet has converted 35mm film to HD specs with great results. Seeing movies like(the original) "Oceans 11" in HD is truly awe inspiring. Then when you have movies like "Winged Migration", "Blade Runner", etc.. (on this month) it is worth gathering around the TV for a Friday night at the movies.

In my eyes, an even greater impact is made with sports in HD. The widescreen shows more of the game and everything is in perfect focus. If you have ever watched one football game in HD and then switched to standard broadcasting, you would truly appreciate what HDTV brings to the table.

Is it a more exciting change than color? I have no idea, but I do know that people spend more time in front of the TV nowadays (for xbox, dvds, cable TV, etc..), so more people may appreciate the change.