View Single Post
Old 09-01-2005, 09:25 PM
Slave to 1 Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobgary
I'd actually like to see what HDTV looks like, as my Sony Wega has the ability to display the HDTV resolutions. Unfortunately, I'd have to buy an HDTV tuner and antenna. I'm also in a "fringe" area, quite a distance from the transmitter, so the antenna would have to be mounted high, and that would cost a lot. As an alternative, my cable company offers HD content. But from what I've read, the HD off of cable isn't the same as OTA HDTV, so it wouldn't be the same. So no HDTV for me right now.

But Frenchy is right, perhaps it isn't that the TV content has gotten bad, but one moves out of that "target audience" that the 5th Avenue execs spend so much time studying and predicting. I have no interest in "reality television" - people stranded on islands, amateur talent shows, or getting hired and fired by Donald Trump. Most of the sit-coms today are just annoying to watch. It's all about dumb sexual innuendos. The "news" shows which claim to offer in-depth analysis of serious subjects are nothing more than voyeurism. I'm not interested in hearing how some kid shot his grandmother in the head so that he could buy a bag of crap. If you want to read about when your favorite TV show went bad, check out Jump The Shark.

Yeah, I know what you mean, I don't like to watch a lot of new stuff on TV, although I admit I have a guilty pleasure of watching CBS' Survivor, but reality TV beyond that just blows chunks. I saw an HDTV set at our local Comcast cable TV place and the picture is not as good as what I get on our current set, a 1982 Zenith System 3 25" model, then again, I'm terminally nearsighted so take that as you will. I do dislike how a lot of TV today is nothing but dumb sex jokes and insipid humor. I do like Cartoon Network's "Adult Swim" with its parodies on the old Hana-Barbera cartoons.
Audiokarma