View Single Post
Old 12-09-2017, 12:27 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgadow View Post
I have a friend who volunteers at a local independent charity thrift store & he's always bringing me boxes of stuff. They don't take anything big but I get lots of transistor radios, handheld TV sets & other electronic odds & ends. If it weren't for him I'm sure a lot of the stuff would get tossed as most of the volunteers that do the sorting are 80 year old women.

A few years back, when I was still growing the collection rather than shrinking it, I sent flyers out to all the local stores with a big photo of a color roundie, offering to haul away for free or perhaps pay for certain sets. I remember getting 2 calls: an 80-year old woman volunteer at a little thrift shop gave me several BPC sets (which I promptly set out on my curb-I just didn't have the heart to tell her I didn't want them) & the manager of a Salvation Army store had a 60's color combo in somewhat disheveled condition. He was obviously disappointed when all I offered him was $15, but then he begged me to take away a late 70's Sears console (I had to pass on that one). I suspect most of that stuff showed up on his loading dock when the store was closed & now they were stuck with it.
Not with our local Goodwill store.According to store policy they ban employees and volunteers from buying stuff or taking the defective stuff home also dont save stuff for friends and relatives.I was in the store on black Friday and seen nothing that interest me.A couple of non HiFi VCRs ,A few DVD players ,RCA compact stereo and a dozen of digital clocks.

Last edited by centralradio; 12-09-2017 at 12:31 PM.