View Single Post
Old 04-27-2023, 04:18 PM
Alchemizes cash to tubes

Basic GE AA5 Clock Radio - No Signal at one end of the band?

Decided to pull my GE C-403 clock radio off the shelf and get it going again. The electrolytics were dead of course, and I went ahead and replaced C2, which was a paper cap. The schematic (which I've attached) reads 47mmf, but when I took it out the actual cap was .047. I replaced it with a spare of the same value I had on hand, swapped out the filter caps and got it working!

Except!

When I tune it to the lower end of the band, the signal completely dies. Just some crackling. I also noticed that the actual stations seem to be just a hair off what they are on my other AA5 set that I restored, but that may just be from the simplicity of the circuit.

Fiddling with the two transformer adjustments did nothing, and there are few parts left to even replace. I even went ahead and swapped C2 with a 47PF capacitor I had ordered, which only killed my signal until I swapped it back. Is anyone familiar with this sort of problem?

Video of the symptom is here:

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...VIY3YyelVZZVNn
Attached Files
File Type: pdf radiomuseum-general-electric-co-c403d-188494.pdf (359.0 KB, 11 views)