View Single Post
Old 04-05-2020, 09:01 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pallophotophone View Post
Has anyone considered the fact that lenticular color film could have been used for color kinescope recording? I asked the folks that did the reissue of Mary Martin's Peter Pan
NBC broadcasts that were transferred from kinescope recordings and no one responded.
I still believe there is a lenticular print surviving.
Unless you are aware of the process and have the 3 color lens mounted filter, lenticular color film projects as any ordinary monochrome film.
CBS did not have color kinescoping or lenticular film at that time. The dots only got recorded because they failed to insert a chroma notch filter in the video feed. That was apparently fixed soon after, and no further dotty kinescope films were made, as far as anyone knows.

Side note: Ed Reitan was interested in restoring some lenticular recordings. He kept promising to send me a frame of color bars to work with, but never got around to it. Apparently, he was very close-mouthed about any ideas of his and only revealed them to maybe one person he thought could help. He had an idea that the lenticular film might be scanned on a flatbed scanner or dedicated slide scanner at high resolution and the stripes separated by computer processing. I tried to convince him that a slide projector and color filter would not only be simpler, but would work better. I had read about someone who was involved with lenticular and gave talks demonstrating it with a slide projector and filter. At the dramatic point, he would put the filter on the projector, changing the image to color. Whatever samples Ed had, got lost after his death.