View Single Post
Old 11-06-2004, 07:16 PM
VideoKarma Member

Heh, I've only been out of High School for 4 years now, but I was in the same situation as Doug and Chad. I was in the A/V department, and used to go there during my study hall time. Had lots of old, tubed equipment there. TVs, record players, reel to reels, pa units, etc. That's where I scored my 1975 Sears hybrid set (it belonged to a librarian who quit 20 years before) which was my first tube TV, even though it was a hybrid. Then there was this RCA Lyceum 23" B&W TV from I think 1970, all tube, 75 ohm coax input, video line level inputs, audio line level inputs with a phono input, and lighted dials on the tuner (I love lighted dials!) I ended with that TV anyhow. Lots of stupid kids there got on me for liking the old TVs. And earlier this year, at work in the storage area, there was like an endless supply of older computer monitors and servers. I was with a coworker of mine up there looking at this old server and he was going to see if they were going to get rid of it soon. While I was up there, I noticed that there was this early 70s Admiral color hybrid tube set stuffed back in a corner. I asked the guy in charge of the IT department about that, then told him what I like to do, and got laughed at in my face, twice by that guy! Then followed the insults. What a jerk. People are very closed minded on stuff like this for some reason. I had my share of stupid remarks about my hobby.

I know I've been rather quiet here, but I really enjoy reading others posts here. This is one of the first places I visit when I get online. Too bad I didn't find out about this place until the middle of this year or so. This is a great forum. Great people and TVs.