View Single Post
Old 11-05-2004, 07:17 AM
VideoKarma Member

Doug, I hear what you're saying! Let me give my perspective...I was only able to really start collecting TV's, etc. in a big way when I could drive myself out to get them at age 16 (although I had been working on them when I was younger, I could only get what Dad would consent to help load in the van).
When other high schoolers were getting ready for the prom I was driving around collecting TV's from the trash! I didn't even fit in with the "nerd" crowd in high school, I was just too far out for even them.

My parents were pretty liberal...although sometimes Dad would dissuade me from bringing home more sets, they were not upset about it at all. I didn't really care if the other kids were interested in what I did...I just did my own thing. The parents would not let me buy school buses, old cars or trucks (something else I collect) though, I would go to the auction and see them for $200, but they would not let me get them. Now that I'm in my own house, look out! I have 5 school buses, also 3 Grand Marquis, etc.

There is still a LOT of equipment at my Parents' house in Ohio, hundreds of radios, probably about 80 TV's, cart players, ampex tape machines, etc. I am making a dent in bringing it to my home in Texas but it will be incremental, as I can only do it when I can make a trip up there. They don't complain at all about it...it is all stored neatly in the garage, some in the attic. Some of it has been there for 11 years, since I was 16, but I will get it all hauled to my own house someday.

Doug, there ARE people who are really interested in old TV's, etc. There may not be a lot...but it is a lot better to have a few friends who you really have a connection with, than many who are just acquaintances.

Last edited by Chad Hauris; 11-05-2004 at 07:29 AM.