View Single Post
Old 11-03-2004, 10:29 PM
heathkit tv

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv beta guy
While I am trying to build my collection with more 60's TVs and such, a majority of my sets are from the early to mid 70's. Back when I got my first old TVs (all early 70's sets), my dad let me have them, but he wanted me to throw them out after I was "done" with them. I was told they were junk, and keeping them would make me a junk collector. Even with an RCA Victor table top radio I have from the 50's was junk then to my parents. Their attitude has did a 180 now. My dad now even tells people at his work that I have these many TVs, and they are all hooked together and it looks like a giant store display... I have 15 TVs in an 11x13 room, all hooked together with two 8 output video distribution amps. People's first reactions are "woah! lots of TVs!", followed by "do they work?" then by "which one is the oldest?" The oldest right now being my 1962/63 Magnavox 17" B&W. Then I give a demonstration. When I have friends come over, we sometimes hook up the Playstation 2 or Gamecube to these old TVs and turn them all on at once. They all think it's cool. They actually get sharper and brighter pictures than most of today's junk, even with video games.
Today's nut is tomorrow's far sighted collector. This reminds me of a time years ago in the NY subway system. There was an employee who didn't want to allow the few remaining very old subway cars to get scrapped so he literally hid them! Every once in a while some higher up would come sniffing around looking for them and it became a convoluted game of musical chairs moving them around the system to keep them from being discovered. Several more years go by and there's a push on to start a museum for the subway. Someone laments that there aren't any of those older specimens remaining. Well this feller sheepishly admits that there are in fact some old cars still around. So instead of getting into trouble he became a hero! And that's the rest, of the story.

Anthony