Thread: CTC 9 kenbridge
View Single Post
Old 05-20-2015, 07:15 PM
VideoKarma Member

I got my new set adjusting mirror and this set is basically fixed.

The picture looks even better than it did before. (I'll post some pics later.) There's still one minor issue, the red bkd control is completely ineffective. But it is more-or-less where it should be anyway, a little too high (but only really noticeable when there's a completely black picture.) Next time I have the chassis out, I'll look into this.

As far as the remote goes, I went and did the alignment procedure, peaking all those coils again. And now 9 times out of 10 when you press vol down it goes down and not up. I had some tubes test weak, but swapping them for new tubes made no difference, so I put the originals back in.

The strangest problem is that when you turn the set on, as it is warming up, usually right as the picture is coming up, the vol control goes up by itself. But I think I found the cause - I was messing with the horiz hold and had turned it nearly all the way one way until it lost sync, and then the vol control moved up again, by itself. I did this several times and it happens consistently at the same position of the horiz hold control. I know how in some sets you can hear a high pitched ringing at the frequency of the horizontal oscillator, the yoke vibrating maybe? I'm guessing that when the set warms up the horiz oscillator hits on exactly that same frequency and it happens. It doesn't really make sense because you need 43.25KC to turn the vol control, and I don't see how you would get that out of the horizontal going at around 15-16KC, but I think that's what's happening. Maybe it happens when the horizontal is down around 14.4 (43.25/3)?

Last edited by Adam; 05-20-2015 at 07:26 PM.