View Single Post
Old 10-09-2017, 10:59 AM
Resident Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtvmcdonald View Post
About Tesla coils and CRTs. I have a Tesla coil or three. I used them to start discharges
with microwave generators to make Fluorine or Oxygen atoms for my research.
They are exactly like the pictures I see offering the CRT tester ones in ebay.

But ... is using one to test a 15GP22 in a CT-100 (in the set) dangerous to the
parts of the set, like the yoke or purity magnet? I would of course disconnect everything.
The CRT itself is immaterial ... its red gun is truly dead.
For testing the CRT for gas with a Tesla coil, I removed the purity coil assembly and yoke. On the Westinghouse chassis this is extremely fast. Loosen four nuts, slide everything back and you're done.

I removed them simply because it is easier to see discharge with more of the neck exposed.

I would keep the Tesla coil away from the base as much as possible; check up by the convergence and focusing electrodes. A Tesla coil of sufficient power can burn out a small incandescent light bulb; I imagine a tube heater would be fundamentally no different.

If your tube is gassy, it will be very apparent with the Tesla coil.

Another good test for gas is a Sencore CR-70. Play with bias setting. At sufficiently low bias voltage the meter should peg; the cutoff control fails to control the beam current like normal if the tube is gassy.

Actually, with a sufficiently gassy tube, the voltages from the Sencore are sufficient to strike the gas and cause discharge between the cathode and grids one and two.

See this post for an admittedly poor picture of what I'm talking about:

http://mail.videokarma.org/showpost....0&postcount=16

I would be very curious to know if you can see the faint purple pink glow between the red cathode and first or second grid in your tube Doug.

Last edited by benman94; 10-09-2017 at 11:03 AM.
Audiokarma