View Single Post
Old 09-16-2020, 08:51 AM
VideoKarma Member

A solution to letterboxing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outland View Post
Is the Hall Research converter sensitive to HDCP? I know the Gefen converter is.

Not in my limited testing, with a Roku Ultra.

As you know, the Gefen "obeys" HDCP, so I needed to use a defeater with it. Without the defeater, it threw up an HDCP error even when I tried to play local media files that clearly weren't protected. It must be that the Roku generates HDCP for anything it outputs.

One other thing I needed to do with the Gefen was to download and install special firmware which maintains aspect ratio. With the standard firmware, it does not letterbox.

With both products, playing 4:3 native content from the Roku results in the frustrating effect of pillarboxes AND letterboxing.

The Hall Research converter has a mode called Pan & Scan, which, as described in the manual, seems like exactly what I need, but when I've tried it, it severely squeezes the picture horizontally (worse than a 1:1 ratio). I haven't figured out what might be causing that. I reached out to the company for support and they were less than helpful, saying there could be many factors.

Last edited by user181; 09-16-2020 at 09:10 PM.
Audiokarma