Thread: Rca ctc-5
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2013, 12:13 PM
VideoKarma Member

normally when I am replacing parts on old wafer style tube sockets, I just clip the lead and pig tail, this is to prevent breaking a tube socket pin connector and ruining my day.

In this case it was just the 270 ohm resistor and I could see it was not really wrapped around the hole, so I got out the solder wick and safely removed the resistor. Replaced the resistor all looked good, the only other connection to the tube socket was the wire that went to the blanker tube socket, but I did not disturb that.

I always confirm my work so if its a pig tail I make sure I have good continuity across the pig tail connection (if the wire is not clean its easy to have a good looking connection but no actual contact INSIDE the pig tail.

in this case I did not have to worry about that as I could see I had good flow and had filled the hole in the tab with solder. I did check to make sure the wire that goes to the blanker tube cathode was still good and surprise, it was open. a closer look and I could see the wire had broken right at the pin that I had just soldered to. it was partially corroded and I guess the minor movement done in the install of the resistor must have broken it.

I had to fish the wire out and strip it to get a good clean piece, lucky there was enough slack (just). solder wick out the connection again and redo thru the hole and wrap, solder back. Needless to say I was very careful as the socket tabs break easy.

when done I confirmed that I had continuity back from the pin thru the wire to the other tube socket, AND the 270 ohm resistor was still 270 and connected.

Watch out for those very fragile hookup wires used, in this case I think it was 26 gauge solid so not much to break it.