View Single Post
Old 09-06-2006, 12:38 PM
REAL TVs have TUBES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Deksnis
What with the remnants of the hurricane passing through here recently, there's been so much rain the grass is so green it looks fake. So what better time to again check H-V under extended high-humidity conditions.

Last night I did it a little differently. With a 115-Vac line I pulled open the H-V lead then applied power. The H-V swung right up to 21 kV (about right for a CT-100 unloaded H-V supply) and stayed there.

Plugged the CRT back in and powered up again. Sure enough, after some mild frying the H-V settled at a slightly low 17.5 kV, but in a few minutes was back up to 19.5 kV.

I believe in my case the culprit is leakage from the flange; last year after restoration I had to remove and cleane the CRT and rubber insulator around the flange to arrest the same frying/leakage.

If you have to you have to. But not looking forward to pulling the CRT for another cleaning. Not so much for the work involved, but I don't like potentially messing up a satisfactory alignment.
I have run into humidity problems BIGTIME while working on TVs along the coast here in CA. That ocean humidity not only is wet, it's corrosive. It leaves a sticky white film on everything. The best solution, which I have done many times for customers, is to put a computer fan blowing across a small light bulb inside the cabinet 24 hrs/day. It works! The Mitsubishi big screens get very unhappy in the ocean breeze, and the arcing almost always gouges a channel in the glass from the anode holes to the nearest ground, ruining the CRTs

In the case of a CT-100, you could turn the bulb & fan on the day before you plan to run the set.

Charles