View Single Post
Old 09-15-2015, 09:51 PM
VideoKarma Member

Okay so as a simple test, Tom was kind and provided me with the parts and tubes he'd removed from the set when he was working on it.

Just as a shot in the dark, I swapped out the 6JB5 tube and it did help a bit. The linearity is still off, but I don't have the set vertical height pot cranked to the max to fill in the screen, and the top isn't stretched out as much.

The bottom is still compressed, but the over all quality of the picture is better.

I decided to swap this particular tube, because I looked in the back of the set last night, and noticed it had a purple glow going on. The one I put in doesn't have that purple glow. I'm not sure what that glow is, but I have seen it before on 6LQ6 tubes inside of a Ham Radio RF Amplifier. When the amplifier was transmitting, the tubes would glow like that when they were driving RF.

I also did a very basic purity adjustment, and I was able to clean off that green splotch on the right side of the screen.

I also made the stupid newbie mistake and reached too far behind yolk assembly and got a shock/burn on one of my fingers. Whoops!
Audiokarma