View Single Post
Old 04-19-2007, 11:01 AM
<-- sucker for old sets.

Definitely replace those electrolytic filter cans. I think its tacky to add a cap across a problematic one. if it shorts, you will still kill the power supply.

As far as the retrace lines and hissing, sounds as though you have some high voltage leaking out some place. First place I would look is at the CRT socket. Gently and slowly wiggle it off, as the plastic guide key sometimes breaks. look for green corrosion or rust on the pins of the CRT and the socket. polish the pins with 1000 grit sand paper or better. a small bit of deoxit on a pipe cleaner works for the socket. MAKE SURE TO LET IT DRY OVERNIGHT BEFORE USE.

Next is the spark gaps (if this has them) on the grid wires going to the CRT socket. You may need to find a way to take them apart or replace them if they cannot be cleaned.

If the problem is still evident, check inside the HV cage for burned or melted flyback transformer coatings. Magnavox chassis seem to be notorious for killing flybacks. check all wire and dressing to make sure there are no cracks or breaks in the wires and that all the insulating gromits are in place.

Another thing I might try is to get a cheater and run the set in a dark room with the back off. Notice if you can see any blue corona and where its coming from in the chassis. However if its comming from the CRT neck and the neck is glowing blue or purple, then the tube is defective and its time to look for a CRT.

Good luck