Thread: Ct-100
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2013, 03:29 PM
VideoKarma Member

John,

Thanks for the straight scoop on the FLY-100. When I called Moyer, the person I spoke with also indicated that his cross reference did not support the idea that a FLY-100 would be a suitable substitute for the flyback in a CT-100. In any case, he didn't have a FLY-100, so at least I didn't end up wasting money on that.

Great to hear that you've tried rewinding a CT-100 flyback. I also know of a coil winding machine I can borrow. The one here is a pretty simple affair, with just a variable speed motor (with foot pedal control), a turns counter, and a drill chuck. Is yours a little more sophisticated, with perhaps something to control the wire winding pattern?

I also have the perhaps misguided notion that it might be possible to remove most of the high voltage winding from another random flyback (keeping it almost entirely intact), and mechanically mount that on my CT-100 flyback after removing the original HV winding from it. Naturally I'd have to pick a donor flyback with an inside diameter on the HV winding that is slightly larger than the CT-100 primary, so it would fit. Could easily end up with tuning problems like you encountered, however.

I won't go after either of those just yet, since I agree it is worth trying to get the word out to see if someone may have a spare available.

In the mean time, however, I might look into some fine surgery on the existing flyback, on the outside chance that the short is near the outer diameter of the HV coil. Unwinding a relatively small number of turns from the outside might remove the short but leave enough for sufficient HV.