Thread: Ct-100
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2013, 02:56 PM
VideoKarma Member

Tom, sorry, the FLY100 is NOT a replacement, just another Saqms data error. I acquired a FLY100, and it is some B&W flyback. Grrrr.

I would agree that with the plate cap of the HV and focus rectifiers removed (and the tubes pulled) if the flyback HV winding still heats up rapidly, it is most likely a shorted turn.

I don't have a spare chassis, but I do have a universal coil winding machine and have wound several flybacks with varying degrees of success and failure. I unwound a bad CT100 flyback to get the turns count recipe and wound a replica on the old frame and core. Installed in my CT100, it lasted about 2 minutes, then the primary winding failed open somewhere.

I wound a replacement flyback for my 15" Motorola which worked and produced good HV and sweep, but the HV pulse and all the auxiliary pulses supplied by the flyback have a big negative going ring right in the middle of the pulse, which is upsetting the circuits which use the pulses (AGC, burst gate, color killer, color bandpass amp etc.) So the internal LC ratios are not quite right, even though I followed the recipe as closely as possible.

So winding replacements is an art I have not mastered. While I would not be eager to wind a complete flyback, I could be coaxed into wind a replacement HV winding. But first, do some searching for a junker chassis. I bet there are some out there...