View Single Post
Old 06-25-2020, 08:00 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penthode View Post

But as I earlier pointed out, this is not for a customer. This is for myself. I would agree with you if the set was out of your control, yes the capacitors should be changed.
That's kind of the whole point, isn't it? Your RCA may never have those filters fail and I hope that's what the end result is.

But even when rebuilding something for myself, I do it with the expectation that any future failures will be minor in scope, and it will have a projected life as long or longer than when it was first made. In my store I have my 1936 Philco 60 cathedral that I restored 4 years ago. It's a great conversation piece and so many people are amazed it works. It plays every day from when I get there about 9AM until I close about 4PM. Sometimes I forget to turn it off and it runs overnight or over a weekend. In four years, it only has needed an output tube.

The Andrea 16" TV I'm restoring will go in my front living room with my Radiola and 1850s Smith reed melodeon, and it will be with the expectation that I won't have to repair it except for maybe vacuum tubes at some point. I'll keep my fingers crossed that "hard" parts like the transformers, yoke, CRT etc. will live a long life.

I put the Andrea aside for now as I'm trying to build an exhauster and bellows for the Smith melodeon, but when I get back to restuffing the rest of the cans in the Andrea, I'll take some pictures and post what the cans look like when unrolled.

John