View Single Post
Old 06-25-2020, 07:28 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCT View Post
Yes. The foil as it's unwrapped is generally full of pin holes or outright disintegrates when unwrapped. The paper was mostly just falling apart. How these filters worked at all is amazing.
That suggests another study which is to reform an old capacitor and then take it apart to analyse it. I still do not understand your reasoning that if the capacitor fuctio n's within original s specifications how it could function at all with pinholes? How can you be sure that unless you disassemble a new capacitor, it doesn't haved pinholes as well

Quote:
Which is still higher than a new electrolytic when it comes to leakage readings, and you are talking about a capacitor that is working right now. What happens six months from now?
As pointed out, I have owned an RCA 8T243 from 1949 for 50 years and it retains its original electrolytics. And they remain fine.

Quote:
In the interest of discussion perhaps, but I have no interest in using this single case anecdotal evidence to change what I know as fact.
Your statement points only to your anecdotal evidence. You are by rote used to changing the capacitors. And as this is supposed to be a hobby dealing with archaic artifacts (ancient TVs) and not with a NASA space project, what is the harm in attempting to retain the set's originality? I am the owner and I will maintain a watchful eye.

Quote:
Yes. I used to try to save a buck like anyone else. When I first started screwing around with tube radios for my customers in the 80s I would do this. I got tired of seeing the same radio back months or a year later with a bad electrolytic or bad paper cap.

When I restore a radio for a customer, I guarantee it for a full year except for vacuum tubes.
But as I earlier pointed out, this is not for a customer. This is for myself. I would agree with you if the set was out of your control, yes the capacitors should be changed.

And it has nothing to do with saving a few bucks. It is the aspect beyond simply cabinet aesthetics, to retain the historical originality of the set and to make "intelligent" decisions what to retain and to replace. As a professional Electronics Engineer with an MSEE, I precisely know what I am doing.

Quote:
There is no amount of hours for this one TV that will change my mind on this. The 51 Andrea I'm finishing up has 5 of its original 9 can filters still installed. Two of them let go after dozens of hours of working perfectly.
I cannot comment on the quality of the capacitors used or whether you reformed the capacitors properly. I contend that the capacitors you attempted to use did not reform properly as can be determined by properly applying a stress test of leakage measurement at full rated voltage. If determined that the capacitor is in anyway compromised it must be replaced. In my 721TS case, after reforming, the leakage was well within spec at full rated voltage, which encouraged me to run this test.

Anyhow I shall run the set for another 10 hours today. After it goes beyond 50 hours, I shall test some of the electrolytics and confirm whether or not the capacitors have degraded in capacity or leakage over the 50 hours running time.

Last edited by Penthode; 06-25-2020 at 07:35 AM.