View Single Post
Old 06-25-2020, 06:34 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penthode View Post
Can you quantify the decay you have seen? I mean, what specifically quantifies the intenal degradation of a capacitor that deems it unservicable to you?
Yes. The foil as it's unwrapped is generally full of pin holes or outright disintegrates when unwrapped. The paper was mostly just falling apart. How these filters worked at all is amazing.

Quote:
Do you replace the resistors and full tube compliment as well, even though they function out of tolerance?
No. Resistors, tubes, inductors etc. are different animals.

Quote:
The curious thing here is that these reformed old electrolytics after dozens of hours test within original tolerance for leakage and capacity.
Which is still higher than a new electrolytic when it comes to leakage readings, and you are talking about a capacitor that is working right now. What happens six months from now?

Quote:
The vacuum tubes from day one lead a downward spiral and after 13 years of heavy use have degraded.
Tubes wear out faster than other parts yes, which is why they were put in sockets in most cases. But a worn out tube doesn't generally destroy a transformer when it wears out. Sure, certain tube failures cause collateral damage, but even a brand new tube can do that.

Quote:
Is it not of interest that after 43 hours continuous operation the capacitors still run cool and are within the original specifications?
In the interest of discussion perhaps, but I have no interest in using this single case anecdotal evidence to change what I know as fact.

Quote:
Have you tried to patiently reform the capacitors as I have outlined here?
Yes. I used to try to save a buck like anyone else. When I first started screwing around with tube radios for my customers in the 80s I would do this. I got tired of seeing the same radio back months or a year later with a bad electrolytic or bad paper cap.

When I restore a radio for a customer, I guarantee it for a full year except for vacuum tubes.

Quote:
I will reitterate that the capacitors remain healthy after 43 hours continuous operation. How many hours operation will it take to convince?
There is no amount of hours for this one TV that will change my mind on this. The 51 Andrea I'm finishing up has 5 of its original 9 can filters still installed. Two of them let go after dozens of hours of working perfectly.

The other two I restuffed for restoration sake were physically degrading in the manner I described in my first paragraph.

I'm not one to change every part because it's what is expected, I change parts that are either defective or have a history of failing. I have a 1929 Radiola in my living room that is running on all original parts, capacitors included with the exception of 5 of it's globe tubes. The Radiola was built in an era before electrolytics and the capacitors were made with rice paper instead of rag paper. Radiola experts say don't change them unless necessary and indeed, my Radiola has been running 15 years in the time I've had it on original caps.

John