View Single Post
Old 06-24-2020, 11:17 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCT View Post
When I started in the TV biz in the early 70s, I replaced many hundreds of can electrics in all brands, RCAs included. Some were from the 50s but most were from the 60s.

Recently, I've restuffed cans that were fine, and every time a little investigation reveals decay in both the foil and the paper. It's actually amazing they work at all at this age.

No amount of reforming will improve the deterioration of the paper or foil or reconstitute dried electrolyte.

John
Can you quantify the decay you have seen? I mean, what specifically quantifies the intenal degradation of a capacitor that deems it unservicable to you?

Do you replace the resistors and full tube compliment as well, even though they function out of tolerance? The curious thing here is that these reformed old electrolytics after dozens of hours test within original tolerance for leakage and capacity. The vacuum tubes from day one lead a downward spiral and after 13 years of heavy use have degraded.

Is it not of interest that after 43 hours continuous operation the capacitors still run cool and are within the original specifications? This is not loose speculation.

Have you tried to patiently reform the capacitors as I have outlined here? Surely old chassis's are available to try. And if it is your own personal set, what is there to lose? Worried about the power transformer or rectifier? You can always insert a slow blow fuse.

I will reitterate that the capacitors remain healthy after 43 hours continuous operation. How many hours operation will it take to convince?