View Single Post
Old 08-26-2006, 04:24 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Nelson
I'm curious about the excess red plastic sticking out the edge of the wheel. Was the wheel made by sticking colored plastic on a clear disc?
The plastic flap is there to cover the corner of a larger rectangular CRT. The Col-R-Tel included a 'size switch box' so it could be used with large CRT sets.

The box reduces the picture size to that of the wheel window, just slightly larger than a 12 inch round CRT face. The 'red' plastic flap has the same finish as the simulated mahogany wood pattern on the wheel housing.

The wheel is made of very high quality translucent plastic segments which
are held together with a good grade of clear adhesive tape and a staple near
the outer edge where the adjacent segments join.

I have seen 8 different Col-R-Tel systems over the last 45 years and I have never seen any in which this plastic material has faded, or fogged, nor has the clear plastic tape yellowed or it's adhesive dried out.

If anyone from the original Columbia City IN. Col-R-Tel Company is still living
or if the original records of manufacturing materials still exist, knowing what's in them would be agreat find.

Also, having a definitive list of the various models and a description of the differences between them would be good to have. I am aware of three different models at this point: 100-1, 100-2 and 101-2. I don't know if there was a 101-1.

I'm in the process of restoring my Col-R-Tel unit which I bought in 1960. It is mounted on a 12 inch Philco table top set.

I'm looking for a drive belt for it as well. A friend deals with a major supplier of 'O' Rings for the aircraft industry so it's probably a matter of time until I have
one.
Film @ Eleven

Cliff