View Single Post
Old 09-20-2013, 12:40 PM
VideoKarma Member

Don't beat yourself up too much, you learned a good lesson, make sure everything is correct before power up. Just work the issues one at a time, don't change too many parts at once, you don't want to introduce problems. The thing about zenith sets with the hand wired chassis is you have to be VERY careful when handling the chassis. With all the parts stuffed onto the bottom of the chassis it gets pretty easy to push something and create a short.

Using a targeted approach to a problem is the way to go, the scope will help but it can also mislead, esp if the scope patterns are not clearly shown like the sams often are.

Stick with what zeno advised on replacing that HOT with the current limit light.

Some problems can be very elusive, and sometimes very easy to fix but hard to find. a poor dag connection, a missing screw that grounds something, all can turn into tough dogs to find.

My toughest was a poor ground connection caused by a loose screw on a pcb from a black and white maggie. It created a hula that took a while to find.
I ended up spending a lot of time, finally turned up by using DC on the filaments and slowly putting AC back one pcb at a time.

a simple 1/4 turn of a pcb mount screw would have fixed it. this is where experience comes into play. I had used a scope and tried to find it but it was just not something that I could see. So you have to use tools and field exp both sometimes. Take it for granted the 1st thing I do when I get a set that has pcb grounds thru screws is to tighten them all up. Same with ground stakes on RCA's, term grounds on zeniths, dag grounds etc...