View Single Post
Old 01-21-2018, 03:00 PM
Electronics Accumulator

I've wondered about this many times myself - although, as it applies to smaller tubes like used in computer equipment. I collect old computers as well as televisions, and have done the cataract repair on CRTs used in old computer video terminals. It's the same process as on a roundie - just a much smaller tube. I've never had one implode, but I have often wondered about the ramifications of that safety glass being stuck on with tape or caulk. At least on a television, you're generally watching it from several feet away - but a computer terminal, you're right directly in front of it.

Also, I've wondered what the problems with heating and cooling cycles would be, on a tube that's had the safety glass sealed on with caulk. The air is sealed in that gap between the safety glass an the CRT face, what happens when it goes through a severe temperature change - say, for instance, in a car overnight in the winter, then brought inside? Has anyone ever had the safety glass crack in this situation?

-Ian