View Single Post
Old 08-27-2017, 12:37 PM
<----Zenith C845

Your set makes a good picture right now, but it could be better. Those '70s Maggies were great sets when new, and can be just as good today if they are properly restored. It looks like the CRT is still in excellent shape. The set must have had very little use by its former owner(s) (perhaps the stereo components were used more than the TV) before you got it; I wouldn't expect a 40-year-old CRT to be this strong unless the set was seldom used.

BTW, I am always amazed whenever you get a new TV, especially a large console like your Maggie, as to where you find room for them. Where do you put them all? I think you mentioned awhile ago that you have, or have access to, another building where you can store your TVs.

Also, I wonder how you are getting any TV reception at all without a cable box or OTA converter and antenna (I don't see either on top of your set), since, as everyone knows (or should know) by now, some years after the DTV transition, it is all but impossible to get any kind of OTA TV reception without the use of, at a minimum, an OTA converter box with an antenna. Are you hiding the box behind the TV? Your set shows a picture from the local CBS affiliate in Birmingham, which, again, is all but impossible to get without at least a converter box--unless the station has an analog SD (standard definition) feed in addition to its main HD signal.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.