View Single Post
Old 08-22-2018, 11:29 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
EM...could you do testing via surface mail?
If your set has the same chassis I could probably test a board (if I understand your question). I need to figure out the best way to unplug the wires from the FBT to the neck board though. If you know the right way to remove them I'd be interested in knowing.

To answer other questions as a collector of heavy bulky tube TV consoles, and someone who keeps much of his collection on the second floor, and the rest as well as the workbench in the basement I've learned to bring the tools to the set when it is not as easy to do it the other way around. If I was persistent enough to remove the above-mentioned leads to the neck board I could have done it downstairs, but they were not coming off easy and I decided against forcing things.

I used a vacuum de-solder tool (IIRC it is called the Solda-pult)...The largest size I've seen sold (~12" long)...Normally that tool gets used on tube electronics with larger solder blobs. It was not ideal (I wish I had a smaller one), but repeated heating and vacuum cycles (and a touch of fresh lead solder) did the trick. I did have a 25W iron which is more appropriate for PCB work than the 75W-150W cattle prod irons I normally use on the older stuff.

This for me was an exercise in soldering finesse.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4