View Single Post
Old 12-03-2010, 02:52 PM
<----Zenith C845

Classroom TV in northeastern Ohio, circa 1965, meant (at least in the elementary school in the Cleveland suburb where I grew up) one or perhaps two 23" RCA Victor all-channel TVs on large, tall wheeled carts. (My grade school was quite small, so we could get by with just two sets.) The school had a MATV (master antenna) system that downconverted Cleveland's PBS (then NET) channel, WVIZ channel 25, to VHF channel 4; though those sets had all-channel tuning, I don't think they were ever tuned to any other channel. I remember seeing some programs on those sets, but I don't think they weren't used a heck of a lot (not unlike the set in wa2ise's grade school), although I'm sure our sets were used somewhat more than once a year.

Unfortunately, the elementary school in my hometown was demolished several years ago to make room for condos. I have no clue as to what happened to the TVs or to the school's MATV system, as I had left town and moved to my current residence before the school came down.

In reference to the standardized achievement tests wa2ise, et al. have mentioned here, they were administered in northeastern Ohio as well. They were called, in this area anyway, the "Iowa tests of basic skills" and were given once every few years (I don't remember the schedule anymore). The test instructions were on audio tape, and yes, our tests also used sheets with dots the students filled in for their answers. I also remember the sheets having long strings of computer codes on them and a warning: "Make no marks or smudges near these rectangles." These tests were also computer-scored, although I don't remember ever hearing or seeing the results afterwards.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.

Last edited by Jeffhs; 12-03-2010 at 03:02 PM.