View Single Post
Old 01-28-2024, 05:31 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hi guys! I have been lurking on this forum for years but I finally joined just to post on this thread.

I recently picked up a Sony XAV-u50 with diversity unit from Japan through Buyee, no cables included. Of course shortly after I bought it a complete kit came up for sale but it was a bit to pricey at around $250 + shipping international.

I'm coming here to ask if anyone could share some information on getting these up and running. I plan on making a ribbon style MDR cable for testing (same type as you find in old PCs) because it ends up being cheaper that way, although I'm concerned about how much current that flat ribbon can handle...

I need a way to power the diversity unit, and would like to find the matching connector with all the speaker outputs, if anyone has any info on that like pics of the OEM connector or the pinout, I'd really appreciate it. Finally, should I bother trying to re-cap this thing before I attempt to power it on? I did a visual inspection and there's no signs of leakage on my unit.

Ultimately my plan is to install this in a 90s JDM car and hook up something like a raspberry pi as a way to play old tv shows or even emulate some old games. But for now I just want it working on display in my house.