View Single Post
Old 06-07-2012, 07:29 PM
"micro" and quirky

Location: I'm in San Diego, but lived in Hong Kong for a long time
Back in Hong Kong.....I remember going to a computer lab with friends, and we would play something called "Hobbit" on the Hewlett Packard terminals. Was VERY MUCH like this, but in like 1977.

We also learned to load up little rolls of white paper tape with like eight or nine rows of holes, and this REALLY LARGE machine would play MUSIC.....in little beeps, and we thought this was the COOLEST thing in the world!!

About a year or so after that, I got my Commodore PET, and THAT is where the "PET" part of my handle started. I was "ComPet" on Hutchvision's IRC when I got a modem for my Coleco ADAM. After that....my friends have always called me "whatever-Pet"...all the way up to now. "AiboPet" is from when I worked with Sony here in Rancho Bernardo on a scrappy little RISC based robotics project later known as "AIBO" (You've no doubt seen an AIBO robotic dog somewhere or other until 2006 when all things robot were killed at Sony).

I always remember that game Hobbit....and the HOURS we would sit there playing this, and it was just green or amber text on a "dumb terminal".