View Single Post
Old 02-23-2014, 02:02 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_coot88 View Post
Say hey. if you got the K down to 200ma., great. The dip is usually much sharper than you describe, but if it holds at that value, what the hey. It wouldn't hurt to keep the meter on it for a while. Gotta luv the Simpson 260 huh?

It doesn't sound like you have any heat problem to speak of. The power xfmr will run pretty hot to the touch. The fly will get fairly warm. Sheet metal will warm up from radiant heat off the hot tubes.

The hiss sorta remains a work in progress.
Indeed I love the 260! I have a Simpson 303 VTVM as well, but I need some new leads and the calibration is off. I tried calibrating it once, but something was still amiss. That's OK because the 260 is bullet proof. A few years back I was finishing up my electronics degree and one night while staying late the troubleshooting instructor came and got me and asked if I could help with a meter.

A fellow tech had sent his wife to class with his old meter to save a buck or two. Not even the instructor knew how to use it, but they figured out enough to set it to resistance and had gotten the manual out and found out that they had to zero the meter. Well, the meter wouldn't deflect but about half way. I knew that the batteries were dead. I told her that I had a digital meter that would suit her needs for the class as well as any other (which was true) and that I would trade her even. I told her that I was pretty sure that it was the batteries, but I wouldn't know until I changed them and I would take a chance on it in a trade. She was happy; I was VERY happy! Yellow case and all; like new.

Anyway, thanks for all the info. I feel better about a lot of things except the lack of dip point that you mention. I knew that there should be a more profound effect on the current while turning the slug. Actually, it was pretty close to begin with and turning the slug only brought it down a bit. On the hissing, I might double check the H.V. rectifier and regulator.