View Single Post
Old 05-27-2017, 08:41 PM
VideoKarma Member

OK, lots of good info here and I'm glad to see several people using this old a model. Actually, I'm just now getting where I mess with alignments as I've never had much that I believe was very far off as is. It's just cool (if you are a tech of any kind by trade) to be doing more than just shotgunning in caps and resistors.

Anyway, OldTVnut confirmed one thing I brought up misusing the term bandwidth. He says that I should see the TIME change on the graticule of my scope when I change the frequency selection of the SG-8. Well I don't for whatever reason, but I know it is changing. Maybe more to come on that topic. A good point he is inadvertently bringing up is that on a scope you are looking at time, not frequency. (Frequency = 1/T) My scope is old enough to not have freq. displayed on the screen, but it's new enough to do about any job I will do here. Not much going on in bench tech jobs around here that I know of. It's a throw away society!

Now I was in INT mode when making a loop and listening through a receiver. I don't know what it was on when I was connected to the counter. I will have to try that. Maybe that will cover both of these things. I am always blown away by guys like Notimetolooz who know this stuff so darn good that they can and do make their own improvements. I would guess that you really had to be lucky enough to work in the industry when the design and/or repair of this type stuff was a regular thing. When I was in college I would bring in a tube chassis and have everyone flabbergasted. A room full of ready to graduate techs that hadn't a clue even the concept of most of what goes on. This is a science that would be lost if it weren't for those of us still keeping it alive. Even though solid state and digital components are what is taught in secondary education, it's not as applied to radio and television. I guess post graduate engineers or whatnot are the guys that dream up what goes on inside say a flat panel TV set. I sure don't know. Never took one apart. But I know that somebody designed it. Heck, thermionic emission and vacuum tubes blow my mind! LOL! I mean it makes sense, but the fact that someone got paid to think up the different types to do specific things in a fairly precise manner is what makes me scratch my head. All the while, a lot of people thing I'm doing something really big, really skilled in my Frankenstein lab! LOL! There's a good side to everything! Thanks folks!