View Single Post
Old 05-26-2017, 09:38 PM
VideoKarma Member

OK, I guess you are just asking the logical questions. I'm no electrical engineer from the good ol days, but I do OK.

Ok, my statement on it operating really well is only truly based on a couple of facts and/or observations. I can turn on an Amplitude Modulation receiver (which is all I'm really worried about at this stage) and make a loop of wire connected across the two conductors of a coaxial cable connected to the RF OUTPUT via an amphenol connector. The RF Output potentiomenter is quiet in action, and the RF STEPS wafer switch seems to do it's job in raising the RF signal in the steps to a satisfactory degree.

When I place the loop of wire around the antenna of the amplitude modulated receiver with it's tuning capacitor turned down low, I hear a distinct tone. This distinct tone is heard when the signal generators tuning capacitor position indicator is reading approximately 460 Kilo Cycles (Hertz). Most alignment instructions I have ever seen, if not all for A.M. radios recommend the use of a 455 Khz. signal.

My oscilloscope is a measly 20Mhz. Tektronix 2205 with an x1, x10 switchable probe. Perhaps I used the wrong term in "bandwidth" or application of the term. Although the Heathkit Generator seems to be doing exactly what it was built to do, and probably is; I would think that when I connect to a scope that when I change the frequency of the output of the generator, I should see a duplication of said change on the graticule of my scope. Not in amplitude though, but in the width of the waveform. That is what I see when I connect my function generator to the scope. Meaning that if I change frequency, I see the change of frequency on my scope. If I raise the voltage, I see a rise in amplitude of the waveform.

All of this is why I was honest enough to suspect my own ignorance. I suspect that there is something about an RF signal that I am not realizing that creates a need for it to be treated differently than that of a signal coming from a function generator. I mean I can produce a 455Khz signal from the function generator. In the end, all I really want to do is check the Heathkit's actual signal output compared to what the dial reads with a digital signal counter. Indeed, it's easy enough to center the "tone" and look at the dial and see 460Khz. But, messing with the good old analog stuff is really cool, but if I happen to have a boring digital counter, I guess I may as well see what the old stuff is doing.

Thanks for the questions and I hope we find some interesting answers.