Thread: K-cars
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2018, 08:55 PM
VideoKarma Member

Agreed, the ones we saw in the shop were owned by the type of person who changes their oil if a) they happen to think about it while at Wal*Mart or b) the oil light comes on. They'll drive around for months with the "change oil soon" indicator on. Check their windshield & you'll find a faded sticker from Quickie Lube letting them know their next change should be by 78,345. Odometer now reads 102,998. In the back seat of their Sebring, buried under mounds of Big Mac wrappers, Twinkies boxes & empty 2 liter bottles of Diet Coke ("I'm diabetic, you know") you'll find a couple empty bottles of that sweet miracle elixir for automotive engines everywhere, Warren 30w non-detergent, ever flying off the shelf down at Dollar General.

If you ever get behind an Accord that blows blue smoke, you're following one of these car owners. The Honda engines somehow manage to survive longer under such misuse than those 2.7's. I do recall spending a lot of time learning all about one of the common failure items-it had something to do with the front of the engine & a rather complicated way that things fit together. We were trying to come up with a repair vs replace option for a good customer who was a truly nice lady but also the poster child for what I described above. Poor thing later got talked into buying a VW, as I recall. All I could do was shake my head.